Wednesday, August 12, 2009

OH, NO !

Oh, no!  Perhaps there has been not A Very Hungry Caterpillar in my shawl box, but certainly there has been a slightly hungry moth.  This is perhaps one of my favorite gift shawls.  Unfortunately I discovered this when I tried it on with the a new dress that I will wear it with.
The yarn shop did not have a yarn that came close enough to mend it, so I decided to go with plain old thread.
I think it will be fine, since the patched spot will be covered when I fold the square into a triangle to wear as a shawl.
By the way, if any of you experienced needle workers out there know how this was done, let us know.  It's not knit, perhaps some kind of crochet?  I'm pretty sure she ( my sister-in-law) wrapped the yarn around a finger for the large loops.  Next time I'm in Greece, I need to try to get a better history of the piece.  My sister-in-law gave it to me, but it's possible that it was done by  my mother-in-law.
At any rate, I'll be happy to wear it to a special family event next month--more on that later.

As for special events, the bunny quilt recipient arrived a few weeks early a week ago today.  Mom and baby Claire Elizabeth are doing fine. 
 I mentioned yoyos for the tying.  This is one of them in place.

So the backing would look neat, I used the same Cotton Perle (DMC) as the blanket stitch applique to tie the block "junctions", making an X on the backing,

and then stitched the yoyo in place with all the "knots" under the yoyo.


I have started knitting the vest for my grandson's October birthday, and  I'll be taking the little blue sweater to his sister for her birthday.  I'm going there tomorrow to spend a couple days.  Hooray.

So that's about it on the quilting and knitting front here.  See you when I get home.

1 comment:

Jan said...

What a beautiful Shawl Mary Lynn! I'm glad you were able to fix it :) The bunnies and the yo yo tying looks great :) Claire Elizabeth and her Mama will love it :) Enjoy the kids!