Friday, February 19, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DADDY

This photograph of my father is part of a quilt (one of my first) that I made for my mother after Daddy passed away in 1998.
He was born on February 18, 1910, so yesterday would have been his 100th birthday. Even though I didn't get the quilt out yesterday, I thought of him all through the day.


I think one of the the most important things I learned from him (through example) was not to feel sorry for myself, to be positive, and deal with life as it comes. There could be no better example.
I know that whenever and whatever challenges I may face, he is up there cheering me on as I go headlong on through life. Thanks, Daddy and Happy Birthday.

Panning a little farther out on the quilt, there are photos of him with my mother in their younger and senior years; photos of my sister and myself with our husbands, with Mother and Daddy; and one of my favorites of my sister and me. (That's me looking up at her so adoringly.) Some of the patches are fabric from Daddy's ties. Farther out on the quilt are blocks that each of my children, nieces and nephew added to the collection, as well as their photos.



Ah, a wonderful loving family. Life just doesn't get any better!

3 comments:

Jennifer D said...

Thank you for sharing. Your quilt is a beautiful inspiration. You are a very talented lady.

Eileen said...

Just lovely

Julia said...

What a wonderful tribute to your family!