Sunday, February 28, 2010

Hmmmmm, NOW WHAT ?

Oh, goodness, I hate to throw anything away--including scraps of fabric. But I have all these bits and pieces that really don't seem to go together. (I've already gleaned the best go-togethers from my stash scraps.)
So what to do with all these:


Well, a quilting friend shared a blog web site that included a pattern for a "disappearing 9 patch" block. So I thought I would try that. The scraps I had, though, were not such that I could make 9 equal size patches in my blocks, so mine is--needless to say--a bit of a modification from the original pattern.
This is what my block looked like right after I cut it into the quarters. You'll notice that right side "patches" are narrower that the others and I opted to cut it a little off center.

And this is how I arranged them to make the block.

In the meantime, my daughter showed me a really neat way to make a strip block.
So the resulting scrappy quilt will be a combination of 4 strip blocks and 12 modified disappearing 9 patches.


But, drats, I still have some of that pile of fabric left. Now I wonder just what will be next!

4 comments:

Mary Lynn said...

Hmmm, I guess I'll leave that comment, in case someone can read it!

Jan said...

Ohhhhh that comment made me chuckle! It certainly won't be me that can read it!!! This top is gonna be adorable Mary Lynn! Absolutely precious :) Can't wait to see the finished product, so pls hurry :) No pressure or anything! (LOL)

Jennifer D said...

HA! I received a comment like that first one, I can't read it either. I hope it says something nice!

Your quilts are adorable, I am impressed with your stash busting. How did you make the strip blocks?

Mary Lynn said...

Jennifer,
Here is one link to the string quilting. I sewed mine directly on a backing fabric (that helps give stability to the quilt) and did not use paper.