Wednesday, June 6, 2007

INTERNET FRIENDS

Who would have ever believed a couple years ago that this "electronically challenged" grandmother would ever come in to the world of internet friendships and blogging. Well, I've come a long way, Baby! Both are very much a part of my everyday life, now. And when I'm away from my computer (as I will be next week--boo hoo), I really miss it!

And these friendships are more than just emotional ties. Because of the ingenuity of some of these wonderful ladies, there are also concrete items with which to identify the ties.

The first I became a part of was a group from my the "knitwits" thread on a Weight Watchers message board. One of the women there suggested that we (as a group) knit prayer shawls for people in need. The first few went to a women's shelter and then there were several members who had friends who we thought could use a little pick-me-up. Thus, the "sisterhood of the traveling shawl" was born!

One person gets the yarn and starts knitting (a very easy pattern), knits about 4 or 5 inches and mails it on to the next person who also knits a few inches. There are enough women knitting to make a nice size shawl (usually around 60 inches). There is a card enclosed for the recipient which each knitter signs with first name and city of residence. The recipient then knows that prayers were said for her/him by each knitter. The pictured shawl is probably winging its way somewhere between Tennessee and Virginia right now as I mailed it yesterday to the next knitter in line. This one is going to a friend of one of the members.

This knitting group has also done exchanges: scarves and dishcloths this year. I have enough trouble keeping up with my grandchildren's sweaters to have that much knitting time, but I think that I just might have to join in on the next of their exchanges as well!

I also have had the honor of cyber-meeting a lot of wonderful quilters (also on a Weight Watchers message board). These ladies have encouraged me in my growth from a very rudimentary to a somewhat more adventurous quilter. I got brave and decided to join their "friendship star block exchange". Each participant makes a block for each member of the group, using a "focus fabric" somewhere in the block. Each block is signed by the quilter, including city of residence. (This was the first I ever did anything but squares!) This exchange began back in the fall and is winding down this month. I have received almost all of the squares. I will add a few more of my own using the focus fabric (seen to the right of the squares).


I have even decided what I am doing with it. I am going to make a "lap size" quilt and place it on the love seat that is in a little sitting room where I have my morning devotional time. What better place to have this reminder of the wonderful new friends--friends who remember one another in prayer.

1 comment:

The Wooden Spool said...

Love the new quilt......shawl, etc...I think your latest quilt in the works needs some sweet, punchy chocolate lollipop in there somewhere! I just ordered me a 1/4 yard of ALL Anna's lolli line!
Can't wait to see the finished lap quilt...lovely!